| || |
Weekly Family Newsletter
Monday August 11, 2014
| || |
Back to School Open House
Thursday, August 28, from 2:30 - 7:30 PM
- Get your school picture taken
- Meet your teacher
- Put your school supplies in your desk (if you ordered a SchoolKidz supply kit it will be waiting for you in your classroom)
- Refreshments will be served
- Sign up for volunteer opportunities
- The first round of Second Grade Teacher Candidate interviews will take place this week
- Administrative Assistant hiring will take place next week
- Dr. Noll is attending Diocesan Principal Meeting in Merrill on Tuesday
- Mary Bowen-Eggebraaten, Superintendent of Hudson School District visits with Dr. Noll at Saint Patrick School Thursday morning.
- Second round of interviews for Second Grade teaching position
- Saint Patrick School Education Committee meeting, Tuesday, August 19 at 7:00 PM
- Saint Patrick Parish Volunteer Appreciation Picnic, Tuesday August 19, 5:00 - 7:00 PM at Weitkamp Park. Please RSVP by Sunday August 17the at email@example.com
| || |
New Teachers Joining the Saint Patrick Instructional Team!
The past few weeks we have been quite busy recruiting, interviewing and selecting quality teachers to augment our Saint Patrick School instructional team. Our efforts have borne fruit with the recent hiring of four top-notch individuals: Amy Theis (Gr.1), Megan Mitchell (Gr.4), Stephen Kanavati (Spanish), and Theresa Douglas. Following is a synopsis of our new teachers. A more extensive profile will be covered in next week’s newsletter. These eager new teachers have already been hard at work preparing to educate your children. Be sure to give them a warm welcome when you see them in school over the coming weeks!
| || |
Ms. Amy Theis, Grade 1 Teacher
Amy Theis graduated from Saint Catherine University (Saint Paul) in 2013 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Elementary Education and a Pre-Primary Endorsement. Additionally, Amy received A Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Certificate. Saint Catherine University is the National STEM Center for Elementary Education. For the past year, Amy has served a a Pre-school Teacher at St. Thomas More School in Saint Paul.
Ms. Megan Mitchell, Grade 4 Teacher
Megan Mitchell is a local person with deep roots in the Hudson and Somerset area. She is a recent graduate of Saint Norbert College (De Pere) with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Elementary Education and a minor in Early Childhood Education. Megan student taught in Grades 4, 5, and Kindergarten. While attending college, Megan worked as a day care and pre-school teacher aide at Saint Norbert College Children’s Center.
Mr. Stephen Kanavati, Spanish Teacher
Stephen Kanavati holds a Spanish Education Degree from the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, as well as a Bachelor of Science Degree in Social Studies and History from Minnesota State University-Mankato. Stephen taught two at Tecnologico de Monterrey, Irapuato, Mexico and taught Spanish in Stillwater Public Schools. Additionally, he student taught and served as a substitute teacher in Hudson Public Schools.
Mrs. Theresa Douglas, Music Teacher
Theresa Douglas is joining our instructional team as Music Teacher. Theresa will also serve as Director of Children’s Choir at our church. She is excited to be directing the SharmROCKS Group and has already begun preparing for her manifold duties. Theresa and her husband Ryan have three children attending Saint Patrick School this fall.
Learning Environment to Accommodate Differences [LEAD] Team
- The new Learning Environment to Accommodate Differences [LEAD] team is working this summer to design programs to ensure that all students function at their optimal learning-curve.
- Details about the LEAD Team will be provided to parents at Back-To-School Night, August 28.
New School Uniform Policy
- Our new school uniform policy has been sent via email to all registered school families and can be accessed on RenWeb in Resource Documents.
- Let me clarify two points regarding Shoes:
1) First, shoes and other articles of clothing covered within the uniform policy, should not be a distraction to the learning and teaching environment. To that end, we ask parents to adhere to the color choices, styles and specifications articulated in the new policy. Realizing that shoe manufactures often add small logos and accents of various colors, shoes should be no less than 75% of our uniform policy color choices. In other words, small logos or thin strips of non-uniform colors are permissible, but not encouraged.
2) The “NO Embellishments” means no embellishment by both the manufacturer (i.e. no sparkles and the like) and the student (i.e., no fobs, emblems, stickers, or the like).
- Since the policy is new to all of us, good judgment and patience will serve us all well! Thank you, in advance, for your kind cooperation and support!
| || |
Ms. Erin Peterson Departs Saint Patrick School
On a sad note, we learned late last week that long-time, revered teacher Ms. Erin Peterson has resigned from Saint Patrick School to take a position with a Catholic School in the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. Ms. Peterson expressed apprehension about leaving her students, families, colleagues and friends. Replacing someone as revered as Ms. Peterson is always a daunting task. Nevertheless, we have posted the Second Grade position opening and already have an interview set up for later this week. Several teachers will serve on our interview team. If you know of qualified teacher candidates seeking a position in a dynamic school, please have them send a cover letter, resume’ and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please keep our interview team in your thoughts and prayers as we seek a quality Catholic school teacher to serve our children.
Spirit Wear is Coming to Saint Patrick School
- Parent volunteers will be opening a school store this fall to sell items that promote positive school spirit!
- What types of item? T-shirts, caps, pencils, notebooks, folders, water bottles, headbands...and many more!
- Watch for more details in this newsletter coming weeks and at Back-To-School Night on August 28
New Parent Orientation
New Parent Orientation has been rescheduled for Thursday, August 14th at 6:30 PM and Tuesday, August 19th at 10:30 AM. Again, the session should only take about an hour. This will take place at the school, please come with questions! If you have not already done so, please let us know if you will be making it and what session you plan to attend, please.
Find us at:
403 St. Croix Street, Hudson, WI 54016
Phone 715.386.3941 Fax 715.386.9453
St. Patrick School
Online at http://www.stpatrickofhudson.org
| || |
| || |
MEET OUR STAFF:
has been teaching Saint Patrick School fifth graders since 2004. Prior to that she was a long-term sub teaching third grade students at our school for one year.
For Jen, her philosophy regarding teaching is all about exploration and discovery, she noted, “I enjoy exploring new ideas with students and I believe that learning is a lifelong skill and responsibility. I love seeing students make connections from what they are learning, hearing or reading to their lives, real places, or things. Seeing that light go on for students when they understand or connect to an idea is truly amazing.”
Being a lifelong learner is something Jen takes to heart. She received her B.S in Elementary Education, with a minor in Communicative Disorders, from UW River Falls. Since then she has continued her education with classes at Hamline University, taking courses on reading and participating in the Literacy Institute. Summertime trips often involve visiting historical sites throughout the United States. She loves sharing what she has learned on these trips and the opportunity to, in her words, “…make our country’s history come ‘alive’ for my students.”
Teaching fifth grade is a good fit for Mrs. Lohr, she noted, “It’s a great age group because they are able to take subjects to a deeper level and yet still enjoy the simplicity of being kids.”
When she is not teaching, Jen enjoys traveling and camping trips with her husband, Ryan and spending time with family. She especially loves any time she can spend outdoors playing with her niece and nephews. When her schedule allows, she also carves out time for reading, scrapbooking, gardening, cooking, sewing and knitting.
| || |
| || |
A LOOK AHEAD
| || Sunday||Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday||Saturday|
| ||August 10 ||11||12||13||14||15||16|
| ||10:00 AM - 1:00 PM|
| ||6:30 PM New Parent Orientation|
| || 17|| 18||19||20||21||22||23|
| || 10:30 AM New Parent Orientation|
| ||Back to School Day|
2:30 - 7:30 PM
| ||LABOR DAY||FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL|
9:30 AM FIRST MASS
Due to frequent changes and updates, please see our Renweb calendar for the athletic schedule
YOU CAN AFFORD A CATHOLIC
EDUCATION FOR YOUR CHILDREN!
We welcome families from all religious, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds, who desire an exceptional education.
“We never want money to stand between a family and giving their child a great education.”
- FR. JOHN